Saturday, May 30, 2009

Whew!! Spring portfolios are done!!!


I hope all our Shooting Star fans didn't think we abandoned them. The site hasn't been updated because the past two weeks were devoted exclusively to preparation of the spring portfolios, and I'm happy to announce that they are completed and ready for delivery! Preparation of a Shooting Star Sports Photography portfolio is no simple task - each one is a meticulous and painstaking endeavour, and a minimum of 12 hours goes into every portfolio. While I frequently use the word "we" in these posts because I do have some excellent contract photographers and even a great high school student to help with some tasks, I flew solo this spring and handled the whole workload myself. The total: 14 portfolio athletes, plus substantial contract work for Cal State Bakersfield athletics, Bakersfield College baseball, and my former employer, The Bakersfield Californian. In all, just over 10,000 images shot and 2,783 photos delivered to our clients in their portfolios! Above is our new client Dwight Mashburn of Bakersfield Christian High School.

Fittingly, one of our best moments of the spring happened on our final shoot, when client Bryan Maxwell of Centennial High launched this homer in the exciting playoff game last Friday against arch-rival Stockdale High. I love the reactions of all the people in the photographs. I'm sad Bryan's homer didn't hold up for the Hawks, but I'm also happy my pal Dan Lemon and his Stockdale Mustangs made good on the victory by winning a second straight section championship. Check out the sequence below, and please click the photos to view larger versions.




No comments: